How to read Kobo eBooks on a Nook
Reading Kobo books on your Nook is fairly simple once you know how. Before you start, you need to understand the difference between eBooks with DRM (digital rights management) and eBooks without.
For books without DRM :
Kobo.com displays these books with a simple 'Download ePub' link and will allow you to directly download an ePub file (once you have created a free account and signed in). To read this file on your Nook, simply plug it in to your computer with the USB cable and transfer the eBook into the My Files / Books folder.
For books with DRM :
If on Kobo.com the book shows with a 'Adobe DRM ePub' link, then this Kobo book uses Adobe Digital Editions DRM, so to read this on your Nook, follow these steps :
- Plug your Nook into your computer via the USB cable.
- Create a free Adobe ID if you don't already have one. You can do this here.
- Download and install the free Adobe Digital Editions software from Adobe.
- Once the software is downloaded and installed, you will need to Authorize your Computer. To do this, enter the details for the Adobe ID you created in step 1.
- Next, you should see your Nook listed under Devices on the left hand side. To authorise your Nook, either right-click on the Nook and select 'Authorize Device' or alternatively click on the Nook and then click on the cog icon next to Devices and select 'Authorize Device' from there. Please see the screen grab here to see how this looks.
- Now, you can click on the Kobo.com download Adobe DRM ePub link for the book which should then launch Adobe Digital Editions and install the eBook.
- From your Bookshelf, select the book you wish to transfer and then from the File menu, select Copy to Computer / Device > Nook and this will transfer the book for you.
- Eject your Nook and unplug it from the computer.
- The book should now show in your Nook library.