Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

iplayer

Share this Page 
08 Feb 2013, 10:43 PM
I cannot get BBC I player to run although the app is downloaded and opens but no progs run. Also any idea why it player and tune in radio say they cannot download to arc norburg7
---
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09 Feb 2013, 12:16 AM
(08 Feb 2013 10:43 PM)norburg7 Wrote:  I cannot get BBC I player to run although the app is downloaded and opens but no progs run. Also any idea why it player and tune in radio say they cannot download to arc norburg7

I've seen quite a lot of reports that iPlayer won't run on the Arc. As you say, it installs OK but just gives a blank screen. Indeed, PC Pro magazine in their review said they weren't able to get iPlayer working.

I have seen comment saying that if you sideload Flash and install Firefox for Android then you can browse to the iPlayer website and view BBC programmes that way.
09 Feb 2013, 12:55 AM
Apparently both the Android TuneIn Radio client and the iPlayer app are Adobe Air-based. If that is the common factor that stops them working on the Arc then the Flash solution makes sense.
09 Feb 2013, 01:49 AM
Had my kobo arc since Monday. The bbc i player app from google play does not work opens and as previous posters say just blank screen
I am impressed with the Tapestries though
---
10 Mar 2013, 09:00 AM
Install flash player (I found mine on the good ereader app store), (make sure you have it ticked in settings to accept downloads of unauthorized apps). Then install mozilla firefox browser, find bbc i player, with settings on firefox (3 little dots in top right corner) tick, view as desktop mode. You should now see bbc iplayer as it would appear on a laptop. Select a video to watch, tap the plug in that pops up to activate flash, and then iplayer should work. (tested and works on 4 different kobo arc devices).
Hopefully at some point though bbc will get their buts in gear and sort the app out.
---
14 Mar 2013, 07:46 PM
A step by step guide of how to install flash / mozilla firefox browser to get iplayer working on the arc.

1. Go into the settings of your Kobo arc and on the left hand side find "security", click onto that and on the right hand side there will be an option called "unknown sources" (5th option down). You need to make sure the box to allow installation of non-market apps is ticked.

IdeaHow to get a flash player on your Arc.Idea

2. Access the google play store and in the search bar type "good ereader" hit the enter key and the first option to appear will be and app for good ereader app market (free to download). This app is basically another app store which provides you with essential apps for ereader tablets.

3. Once you have downloaded and installed this app onto your Arc, open it up. On the left hand side you will see a list of catergories, the 8th one down is "essential apps", click it. Now on the right hand side you should see 2 downloads for adobe flash. Click the second one down "adobe flash 11" and select download.

4. Adobe flash 11 should now be downloaded/ installed onto your kobo.

IdeaHow to download Mozilla Firefox browser to watch iplayer.Idea

5. Access the google play store again, and in the search bar type "firefox". It should straight away suggest firefox browser for android, Select that, and install the free app like normal.

6. Once installed, open up firefox on your Arc. In the search bar type "bbc i player" and hit enter. It should have google searched i player for you. When you first click the link, the bbc iplayer website will appear with an error message "your device is not able to support BBC iplayer". This is because we are viewing on tablet mode, not desktop mode.

7. In the top right hand corner of the firefox browser there should be 3 verticle dots. This is your tools/settings menu on firefox. Click the dots and a drop down menu will appear/ The fourth option down says "request desktop site". Make sure this box is ticked by clicking it.

8. After click to change to desktop mode, the page should have refreshed, and you should now be able to see bbc iplayer as if you were viewing on a laptop screen. You should now be able to search/select what you want to watch like normal. You can expand the iplayer viewing screen exactely how you would on a computer by clicking "expand arrows" located at the bottom of the viewing window near the volume options. Tilt your arc to the side and you can watch in full screen.

I hope this helped. Shy
---
15 Mar 2013, 02:37 PM
(14 Mar 2013 07:46 PM)Zozzy Wrote:  A step by step guide of how to install flash / mozilla firefox browser to get iplayer working on the arc.

1. Go into the settings of your Kobo arc and on the left hand side find "security", click onto that and on the right hand side there will be an option called "unknown sources" (5th option down). You need to make sure the box to allow installation of non-market apps is ticked.

IdeaHow to get a flash player on your Arc.Idea

2. Access the google play store and in the search bar type "good ereader" hit the enter key and the first option to appear will be and app for good ereader app market (free to download). This app is basically another app store which provides you with essential apps for ereader tablets.

3. Once you have downloaded and installed this app onto your Arc, open it up. On the left hand side you will see a list of catergories, the 8th one down is "essential apps", click it. Now on the right hand side you should see 2 downloads for adobe flash. Click the second one down "adobe flash 11" and select download.

4. Adobe flash 11 should now be downloaded/ installed onto your kobo.

IdeaHow to download Mozilla Firefox browser to watch iplayer.Idea

5. Access the google play store again, and in the search bar type "firefox". It should straight away suggest firefox browser for android, Select that, and install the free app like normal.

6. Once installed, open up firefox on your Arc. In the search bar type "bbc i player" and hit enter. It should have google searched i player for you. When you first click the link, the bbc iplayer website will appear with an error message "your device is not able to support BBC iplayer". This is because we are viewing on tablet mode, not desktop mode.

7. In the top right hand corner of the firefox browser there should be 3 verticle dots. This is your tools/settings menu on firefox. Click the dots and a drop down menu will appear/ The fourth option down says "request desktop site". Make sure this box is ticked by clicking it.

8. After click to change to desktop mode, the page should have refreshed, and you should now be able to see bbc iplayer as if you were viewing on a laptop screen. You should now be able to search/select what you want to watch like normal. You can expand the iplayer viewing screen exactely how you would on a computer by clicking "expand arrows" located at the bottom of the viewing window near the volume options. Tilt your arc to the side and you can watch in full screen.

I hope this helped. Shy

Hi I'm new to the forum and followed your instructions so that the iplayer works on my kobo arc. It will play but at fast forward speed without any sound. Any ideas?
ThanksShy
---
21 Mar 2013, 08:23 PM
FYI as of 21st March, Kobo Arc upgraded their system to Android jelly bean , which supports the iplayer app. I've just upgraded, tried the app, and it works fine, Smile
---