Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Book offers

Share this Page 
27 Jan 2013, 10:31 AM
Why can't Kobo compete with Sony and Kindle on their book offer's Sony's reader store and Kindle offer some books cheap at the moment both stores are offering Dark Water by David Mark for 20p and it is £6.98 on Kobo, When they do some money off offers they are for selected books only. Kobo is own by a big Japanese company so they should be able to compete.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27 Jan 2013, 01:34 PM
I know i feel the same i also wish their discounts could be on entire catalogue as i am an avid fan of Kelley Armstrong and Charlaine Harris and these are never included in the discounts hrumph!

Anyone know the way to readers anonymous...
29 Jan 2013, 12:21 AM
I suspect it is a matter of market share and who makes the pricing decisions. In the US Kobo has about 10% of the ebook market whilst the Kindle has something like three times that. That difference gives Amazon a lot of leverage. As I understand it the publishers set the price of Kindle ebooks but Amazon runs various programs with publishers to sell cut price books - their 99p Daily Deal, for example. I suspect the publishers take the loss not Amazon, but that gains the author a lot of customer attention - specially advantageous if the book is the first in a series. Unfortunately, I doubt if Kobo has the clout to get the publishers to take a loss on their books, given their current market share in the UK.
30 Jan 2013, 05:20 PM
I understand about Kindle but Sony offer the same 20p books and I would not have thought their market share would be less