Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Sporadic Appearances

Share this Page 
23 Nov 2014, 02:48 PM
I'm very glad to see this forum is still hanging in there! Seems like I never manage to poke my nose through the virtual door, these days. This shouldn't be taken as a sign that I've given up. I could go with the excuse that I'm busy, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate. Better to say I've been terribly distracted by a steadily more complicated family matter (father-in-law suffering from encroaching dementia). All the while, I've been trying to stay of track for the timely release of my next book. This forum, Twitter, and to a degree Facebook have been nudged off the priority list these past few months, as a result.

We seem to have entered a period of relative stability, so I'm taking advantage of that to make the rounds and say "howdy!" in places where I used to appear more regularly. With any luck I'll be able to pop in a bit more regularly. But you never know...

Author of -
The War of the Second Iteration
Book One The Luck of Han'anga
Book Two Founders' Effect
Book Three The Plight of the Eli'ahtna
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29 Nov 2014, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry you're having so many problems, Thomas. My mum has schizophrenia and dementia now so I know what you're going through. She's in a care home up in Liverpool and I live in Bristol. I only get to see her once a month and I'm in the process of clearing her property for sale.

Hang in there, mate x
30 Nov 2014, 02:00 AM
We've been fortunate in that, so far, we've been able to keep him in his own home. That won't last, however. You do what you can and, sometimes, what you must.

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
30 Nov 2014, 08:09 PM
So sorry to hear that Thomas and Tracey. My Mum had dementia and I know how painful it can be for family and friends. It was incredibly hard work and time consuming for my Dad, but at least much of the time Mum was relatively happy and was never in physical pain.

Jonathan

#Movember - Changing the face of Men's Health
http://mobro.co/frogplate
05 Dec 2014, 11:33 PM
The father-in-law is sometimes frustrated by his declining ability to cope, but he tries to stay positive and work with us. It's still a painful thing, watching him decline, and is also profoundly disruptive.

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
06 Dec 2014, 04:52 PM
By a very unfortunate coincidence we had a call from an insurance company in the week to say they were rebuilding my mother-in-law's kitchen but didn't think she was competent to make decisions. There had been a chip-pan fire, but she hadn't told us about it even though we live only a few miles away. She has been getting steadily more vague in recent years and we are seeing the same symptoms that affected my Mum, but because the changes have happened quite slowly we hadn't appreciated how bad things were getting. I think there are going to have to be some serious family conferences over the holiday period...
11 Dec 2014, 01:19 PM
Similar experience for us, that slow fade that finally crosses a threshold and becomes impossible not to notice. Two years ago he became confused about something that a doctor had told him, and when my wife tried to clear the matter up, she discovered that her father had been shredding the instructions and test results to "protect his privacy." We became involved in his health care at that point and discovered that the doctor had been trying to stabilize a kidney problem. When asked if he knew he suffered from kidney disease, my FIL said "no." Turns out he'd also forgotten to mention having a CT scan done that revealed he had lung cancer. Both of these were treated effectively (he's cancer free, now), but if we hadn't stumbled into the increasing memory lapses at that time, he'd be dead now.

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies