Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Now reading...

Share this Page 
04 Jan 2013, 11:45 PM
In lieu of a "Currently reading" field in the user profiles in this forum why not amuse/stun/horrify/amaze the other participants by revealing what is keeping you feverishly gripping your Nook or Kobo?

Having recently finished reading the "Void" trilogy, I've just started reading another slim volume by Peter F. Hamilton

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
- Great North Road

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
. So far this is a police procedural set in Newcastle in 2143, with some interesting extrapolations about technology and every day life. I'm genuinely having trouble putting it down, especially as it is just becoming clear that the plot is about to get a lot more complex and move off planet.

Oh, and remember if you format the names of books and authors like this:

your post will be automatically hyperlinked to the Kobo and Nook stores.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05 Jan 2013, 07:47 AM
I bought Hercule Poirot's Christmas

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
to read on my Kobo app because I was watching it on television recently and a friend telephoned me and I missed the ending. Very, very enjoyable story, with a fine cast of characters and the murderer very hard to spot (for me, anyway). My only grumble is that the formatting is only so-so, with uneven text and virtually blank pages at the start of chapters.

Our True Nationality is Mankind - H.G. Wells
05 Jan 2013, 09:47 AM
Am reading A Hidden Fire by Elizabeth Hunter

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
had to put the size of the text up to nearly max on my kobo touch as was rather tiny. Its one i have gotten for free from kindle and converted with calibre. I love anything paranormal/supernatural (well will try anything tbh as love reading with a passion) so this book is right up my street Smile

Anyone know the way to readers anonymous...
13 Jan 2013, 05:38 PM
I've just started reading Mansfield Park

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
by Jane Austen

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
on the Kobo Mini. I suspect the plot is going to be a little predictable, but that's not the point - it's the style of writing and the dry humour that I'm really enjoying - it's worth reading the book for the appearances of Mrs. Norris alone.

I'm finding the Kobo Mini is a really comfortable travelling companion. Being about half the size of my other eReaders it's very convenient when squeezed on to the tube. But I suspect that the ease with which it slips into the back pocket of my jeans may be its downfall in the end... (I've nearly sat on it a couple of times already.)
14 Jan 2013, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 14 Jan 2013 10:05 AM by Lou.)
I'm currently reading the new novel Sea of Ghosts

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
by Alan Campbell

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
. I really enjoyed the Deepgate Codex

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
series and this new one is shaping up to be a very interesting take on fantasy, kind of waterworld, meets steampunk, meets dragons.

[Image: Image.ashx?imageID=hlSMTvebTkuNgaqj3dVUa...ype=Search]

Did you try setting it to Wumbo?
14 Jan 2013, 12:43 PM
am now reading Switched by Amanda Hocking

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
have the trilogy which i bought in August and am loving it Smile

16 Jan 2013, 06:40 PM
(14 Jan 2013 10:04 AM)Lou Wrote:  I'm currently reading the new novel Sea of Ghosts

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
by Alan Campbell

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
. I really enjoyed the Deepgate Codex

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
series and this new one is shaping up to be a very interesting take on fantasy, kind of waterworld, meets steampunk, meets dragons.

I've recently read Lye Street

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
(a prequel to the Deepgate Codex) and found the world Alan Campbell

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
had created fascinating. Scar Night

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
is sitting patiently in my TBR list.
17 Jan 2013, 01:58 AM
Scar Night

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
(and the subsequent novels) are all excellent, and have quite a unique take on the fantasy genre along with some very memorable characters. I'm really enjoying Sea of Ghosts

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
and it's a shame I'm going to have to wait for him to write the next one.

Did you try setting it to Wumbo?
17 Jan 2013, 09:29 AM
gosh am really reading fast finished Switched by amanda hocking

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
also just finished Torn by amanda hocking

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
and ready to start her third one Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
Then I have a couple to review for new authors to post reviews on Amazon

25 Jan 2013, 12:07 AM
I've just started reading Usagi Yojimbo: Yokai

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
. This is a graphical novel written to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the creation of Miyamoto Usagi - a rabbit ronin (a masterless samurai who works as a bodyguard). The stories are set in the Edo period and the Usagi character is based on Miyamoto Musashi, except that here he is a rabbit...

The Usagi Yojimbo comics are published by Dark Horse Books who have a wonderful Android app which I've used for getting my fixes up until now. But for this book I thought I'd try the Nook version (which only works on Nook or Android tablets) to see how it compares.

Firstly the book is beautiful - Usagi Yojimbo is normally presented in black and white, but for this volume Stan Sakai got the watercolours out and every page is full colour. The presentation on an Android tablet (actually a Kindle Fire running the Nook app) is glorious. Incidentally the book was considerable cheaper in the Nook store than on the Kindle.

If you have used the Dark Horse app you'll have found that their "panel view" is a great way to read a comic. Navigation in the Nook app is not as good. In portrait mode it defaults to showing a page at a time - which makes the text just readable on a 7" screen. Double-tap and it zooms to 200%, or you can pinch-zoom to get intermediate zoom levels. Scrolling is fluid in all directions - which is lucky as you need to do a lot of it to read each panel. The Dark Horse method of single taps zooming each panel in turn to fit the screen is much more ergonomic and natural.

I haven't read the book yet, just skimmed through, but as well as the stand-alone story (which I'm told is a good introduction to Usagi Yojimbo if you haven't met him before) there is an interview with the artist and a step by step guide to how the images were created and painted.

At £6.95 this 64 page book is expensive, I guess, but if you are a fan of Stan Sakai's work then it is well worth it.