Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Free ebooks on Kobo

Share this Page 
29 Dec 2012, 12:40 PM
I have no idea how one actually publishes books FOR FREE on Kobo? I've got quite a few titles up using KWL but I didn't know you could set the price at FREE. How does it work? I know that to go FREE on Amazon you have to use Select (although again, some people talk of 'price matching' and seem to have books up there for free for EVER. How do they do that? - though really my question HERE is how do you get books on Kobo/Nook for FREE. And can UK writers even publish on Nook? So many questions, and looking forward to making friends while finding the answers. I hate being tied in to Amazon as a writer/publisher but it's so difficult to make sales (or do giveaways) without them - if you don't subscribe to Smashwords (which I don't because I'm happier formatting myself than letting things go through a meatgrinder!)

Cally Phillips

http://www.callyphillips.co.uk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30 Dec 2012, 01:09 PM
Free books that make it to the Premium Catalogue on Smashwords are then available on Kobo, Sony, B&N.
You don't seem to get any 'sales' figures though for Kobo.
---
Find all posts by this user
30 Dec 2012, 02:13 PM
So are you saying that you can't have a book 'free' on Kobo (etc) without it going through Smashwords first? No direct link? That's PANTS.

Cally Phillips

30 Dec 2012, 05:18 PM
(30 Dec 2012 02:13 PM)CallyPhillips Wrote:  So are you saying that you can't have a book 'free' on Kobo (etc) without it going through Smashwords first? No direct link? That's PANTS.

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying but Kobo do offer free eBooks through their store independently of Smashwords, though they don't make them easy to find. Try the following:
  • Go to the Kobo store.
  • Scroll down to the "Recommended Reading:" section in the left-hand column
  • Click the "MORE [+]" button
  • Click on the "Top Free eBooks >>" link

(I'd include the direct link, but LinkShare is breaking links to the Kobo store at the moment...)

There is also the "Free only" option in the "Filter" drop-down at the top of search results.
30 Dec 2012, 09:05 PM
Alternatively just press go on the search bar without putting anything in the search term then on the left hand side drill down to English then on the filter where it show all select free only and you should have s choice of over a million free books. Happy reading

Anyone know the way to readers anonymous...
01 Jan 2013, 01:37 PM
No, what' I'm asking is how one PUBLISHES free ebooks for Kobo. I don't see how it's possible with KWL and is it only if you have published on Smashwords that you can get up as a free book on Kobo site?
eg if you want your ebook free on Amazon you use Kindle Select (or do something dodgy I don't understand with price matching through Smashwords - which seems to me to be in breach of Amazons T&C's) but if you wanted to OFFER your ebook FREE on Kobo - what do you do? Sorry for not being clearer in the first place.

Cally Phillips

01 Jan 2013, 04:30 PM
(01 Jan 2013 01:37 PM)CallyPhillips Wrote:  Sorry for not being clearer in the first place.

No, no, my bad! Sorry for going off at a tangent.
01 Jan 2013, 07:27 PM
Oops sorry am merely a reader not an author don't know I am afraid

Anyone know the way to readers anonymous...
01 Jan 2013, 07:36 PM
(01 Jan 2013 01:37 PM)CallyPhillips Wrote:  No, what' I'm asking is how one PUBLISHES free ebooks for Kobo. I don't see how it's possible with KWL and is it only if you have published on Smashwords that you can get up as a free book on Kobo site?
eg if you want your ebook free on Amazon you use Kindle Select (or do something dodgy I don't understand with price matching through Smashwords - which seems to me to be in breach of Amazons T&C's) but if you wanted to OFFER your ebook FREE on Kobo - what do you do? Sorry for not being clearer in the first place.

hi down the bottom of the kobo page under opportunities is a button authers and publishers

hope this helps
---
02 Jan 2013, 10:51 AM
Hi Wolfwyzard - I have already got 10 titles on Kobo for sale, (and so am signed up to KWL) but what I'm trying to work out is how you can make titles FREE - KWL seems to need you to SELL them FOR MONEY not to offer them for free. Unless anyone knows different?

Cally Phillips