Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Nook to kobo

Share this Page 
28 Dec 2012, 03:12 AM
Hey can anyone help me, I've been trying to get a book for the kobo but it only seems to be out at the moment on kindle and nook, I heard that nook e-books will work on the kobo is this true does any one know,the book is new out and will probably be out for kobo at some point but its book 13 in a series and need to read lol,

Cheers Baz
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28 Dec 2012, 09:38 AM
As far as I'm aware Nook DRMed books will not open on the Kobo eReaders (though I haven't tried it). Apparently they will open in the Adobe Digital Editions app on the PC, but if you use ADE to transfer them to a Kobo the eReader will report they are locked.

However, given you have an iPad, why not install the Nook iOS app and read the book on that? The app is free and works very well.
28 Dec 2012, 01:23 PM
(28 Dec 2012 09:38 AM)frogplate Wrote:  As far as I'm aware Nook DRMed books will not open on the Kobo eReaders (though I haven't tried it). Apparently they will open in the Adobe Digital Editions app on the PC, but if you use ADE to transfer them to a Kobo the eReader will report they are locked.

However, given you have an iPad, why not install the Nook iOS app and read the book on that? The app is free and works very well.

Did think about that but other half wants it on the kobo with the other 12 books lol,
28 Dec 2012, 05:14 PM
I belive this is correct, Barnes and Noble DRM is not compatible with the Kobo, but it is very easy to remove the DRM using the correct tools which you can find here

You do need to have a bit of technical know-how, but it's not really that difficult and once you have done it the first time you'll find it a doddle. B&N base their DRM encryption on the name and credit card number stored in your B&N account, so you will need these to hand.

Did you try setting it to Wumbo?
28 Dec 2012, 09:44 PM
(28 Dec 2012 05:14 PM)Lou Wrote:  I belive this is correct, Barnes and Noble DRM is not compatible with the Kobo, but it is very easy to remove the DRM using the correct tools...

I'm not a lawyer but...

Remember that distribution, promotion and/or use of such techniques may not be legal in your neck of the woods. In the US the DMCA probably applies and there are European Directives that cover much the same ground. In the UK it is possible that the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 apply (assuming ebooks are considered "protected computer programmes"). I haven't heard of anyone being convicted for breaking DRM for personal use but it may be technically illegal (but then formatting shifting TV programmes probably is as well).
29 Dec 2012, 01:12 AM
(28 Dec 2012 09:44 PM)frogplate Wrote:  
(28 Dec 2012 05:14 PM)Lou Wrote:  I belive this is correct, Barnes and Noble DRM is not compatible with the Kobo, but it is very easy to remove the DRM using the correct tools...

I'm not a lawyer but...

Remember that distribution, promotion and/or use of such techniques may not be legal in your neck of the woods. In the US the DMCA probably applies and there are European Directives that cover much the same ground. In the UK it is possible that the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 apply (assuming ebooks are considered "protected computer programmes"). I haven't heard of anyone being convicted for breaking DRM for personal use but it may be technically illegal (but then formatting shifting TV programmes probably is as well).

Hey guys thanks for the response ill have a think about what to do, it will probably be on kobo soon anyway, all her other books have been,