Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

neflix

Share this Page 
22 Dec 2013, 07:58 PM
I can stream films to kobo arc from netflix but for someone in bed in carehome I would like to connect via usb cable to tv with usb socket.
can I do this without damaging kobo or tv?
I cannot see usb to usb cable for sale but have one that fits from kindle!
Any advice gratefully received
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23 Dec 2013, 12:32 AM
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are trying to do here... Are you trying to use your tablet to play Netflix content on your TV? If so, I don't think it is possible with the original Kobo Arc, but would be possible with one of the newer generation such as the Kobo Arc 7HD that has an HDMI port.

In theory it might be possible to play downloaded video on a Kobo Arc via USB to a TV that can accept USB thumb-drives being plugged in. (Anyone tried it?) But the Netflix content is streamed and protected from being copied via the USB port and so I'm sure it wouldn't work.

The Kobo Arc supports "Wifi Direct" which allows it to stream video to a TV that is fitter with a special Wifi adapter. The market for such adapters doesn't seem to have taken off yet - I don't think there are any mainstream devices available yet.

If you have one of the newer Kobo tablets with an HDMI port then it should be possible to plug it into a suitable TV with a standard HDMI cable and redirect the Netflix content to the TV that way. (Disclaimer - I don't have a Kobo Arc or an HDMI TV and so haven't tried this!)
25 Dec 2013, 09:09 PM
(23 Dec 2013 12:32 AM)frogplate Wrote:  I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are trying to do here... Are you trying to use your tablet to play Netflix content on your TV? If so, I don't think it is possible with the original Kobo Arc, but would be possible with one of the newer generation such as the Kobo Arc 7HD that has an HDMI port.

In theory it might be possible to play downloaded video on a Kobo Arc via USB to a TV that can accept USB thumb-drives being plugged in. (Anyone tried it?) But the Netflix content is streamed and protected from being copied via the USB port and so I'm sure it wouldn't work.

The Kobo Arc supports "Wifi Direct" which allows it to stream video to a TV that is fitter with a special Wifi adapter. The market for such adapters doesn't seem to have taken off yet - I don't think there are any mainstream devices available yet.

If you have one of the newer Kobo tablets with an HDMI port then it should be possible to plug it into a suitable TV with a standard HDMI cable and redirect the Netflix content to the TV that way. (Disclaimer - I don't have a Kobo Arc or an HDMI TV and so haven't tried this!)
25 Dec 2013, 09:23 PM
To Frogplate.
Many thanks for help, have just come back to your advice on forum..
You are correct I think, about 1st kobo arc, I have now tried it with kindle usb cable to a toshiba tv with usb socket & nothing happens but I am glad to stop wasting time experimenting down that route, with my kobo.
I will see if the alternatives you suggest, wifi adapters to fit to tv or to put money to toward new suitable new tablet!
Again many thanks & hope you are not suffering floods or power cuts
John