Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

You what!

Share this Page 
14 Oct 2013, 06:52 PM
Finally got it right through Draft2Digital and now look!

http://www.teleread.com/kobo/kobo-removi...ks+Home%29

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15 Oct 2013, 01:11 PM
Doesn't appear to be on the way to a quick resolution, either.

Author of -
The War of the Second Iteration
Book One The Luck of Han'anga
Book Two Founders' Effect
Book Three The Plight of the Eli'ahtna
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
17 Oct 2013, 04:13 PM
I read an article in The Bookseller about this, it's down to WH Smith's search engine. When someone types in a search for a children's book you get naughty erotica coming up in the results. They blame SP authors and small presses, although how they've done it I'm sure I don't know. IMO the fault is with the search engine and is down to the WH Smith IT guys to solve, still...

Kobo have used a sledgehammer to crack a nut and taken ALL SP books off WH Smith's catalogue and its own, including my harmless children's book. The WH Smith site is down at the mo.

What annoys me about this is you look at the Kobo catalogue. Fifty Shades of Grey is still there, as are some other erotica titles, but there again they've sold in the mainstream market, haven't they? Yes. I said as much on their blog but they didn't publish the comment.

I smell a very fishy rat.
18 Oct 2013, 10:20 PM
I think there are a lot of poor quality ebooks out there, a few I have read that were self-published are full of typos, and in some stories the names of the characters keep changing in their spellings. But obviously there are bad books out there too which are based on things like rape and abuse (according to the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24533915 ) so there is a lack of quality control.
On the one hand it is great that as authors we can get our books published easily as ebooks, but on the other hand, so can those who are no good at writing, or who write things that are offensive or full of typos.
Websites and ebook stores must have proper filters in place so that the nasty stuff is not found so easily, and especially to hide all erotica, etc., from minors.
Hopefully this will be resolved shortly, as I have found various self-published books on Kobo that I might want to read but which are not currently available.
My main reading device is a Nook, and I can still get books on that okay. So at the moment I think Kobo are harming their sales, so they have to get it sorted out quickly so that ebook sales can resume, with the worst offending ebooks no longer available.

It's also a shame that from this site when you look at the free ebooks available, they only are ones on Smashwords and Kobo, with very few on Smashwords, and those on Kobo are generally not currently available. Maybe the owners of this website can add the free books from Nook to the listings, as the site is for both Nook and Kobo users.
19 Oct 2013, 04:37 PM
(18 Oct 2013 10:20 PM)davourak Wrote:  I think there are a lot of poor quality ebooks out there, a few I have read that were self-published are full of typos, and in some stories the names of the characters keep changing in their spellings. But obviously there are bad books out there too which are based on things like rape and abuse (according to the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24533915 ) so there is a lack of quality control.
On the one hand it is great that as authors we can get our books published easily as ebooks, but on the other hand, so can those who are no good at writing, or who write things that are offensive or full of typos.
Websites and ebook stores must have proper filters in place so that the nasty stuff is not found so easily, and especially to hide all erotica, etc., from minors.
Hopefully this will be resolved shortly, as I have found various self-published books on Kobo that I might want to read but which are not currently available.
My main reading device is a Nook, and I can still get books on that okay. So at the moment I think Kobo are harming their sales, so they have to get it sorted out quickly so that ebook sales can resume, with the worst offending ebooks no longer available.

It's also a shame that from this site when you look at the free ebooks available, they only are ones on Smashwords and Kobo, with very few on Smashwords, and those on Kobo are generally not currently available. Maybe the owners of this website can add the free books from Nook to the listings, as the site is for both Nook and Kobo users.

I don't deny there's a lot of rubbish being self-published, but there's also a lot of good stuff being self-published, too. What Smith's and Kobo have done is grossly unfair. People who SP go through the process of paying for editors and proof readers, which isn't cheap. They're serious about what they do.

How do you actually quality control a SP book, though? You'd have to have someone employed by the store to read a book before it got onto the catalogue. Who'd pay for that? The author.

I have to confess that in my two young adult books I have some strong language and some violence, especially in Big Brother - my characters in those books come from bad backgrounds and my main character in Big Brother has had a tough time (but there's nothing sexual at all; I wouldn't know where to start with erotica) - but then so has the author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time put bad language in his book. The difference is that is mainstream published and mine isn't. If I were being really paranoid, I would bet that somewhere in the background the trad publishers have had a quiet word in WH Smith's shell like, worried about the impact of SP getting too big for its boots.

As for typos, I've read a few trad books, like The Water Horse very recently, where the spelling was inconsistent.
20 Oct 2013, 03:04 PM
The overall quality of self-published books is, in fact, lower than that of books coming out of traditional publishers. You don't need a large sample size to see this. Yes, some traditionally published books have their share of typos, but I regularly check the samples of self-published work and find half a dozen or so in the first few pages. There's really no excuse for that. And this doesn't even touch the books that are just badly written, with poorly developed (or implausible) plots, cardboard characters, and clunky dialog. (This is why I put as much effort into editing and writing a book as I do in telling the tale in the first place. It's the best method I have for standing out from the crowd.)

Some of the responsibility for this erotica purge rests with the authors of the books themselves. Something I don't see being discussed nearly enough is the fact that "adult filters" are already in place for most retailers. Unfortunately, it's become the practice of some erotica authors to avoid categorizing their work as erotic in nature. If it isn't flagged as such, the best filter out there won't block it. Amazon started responding to customer complaints generated by inappropriate material showing up in searches well before this Kobo/Smith debacle took place. They're handling it case by case, and being pretty heavy handed when they find a violation of their content guidelines. What Kobo and WH Smith did to address the same problem was as unfair as it was idiotic. In the long run, all they've accomplished is to make their biggest competitor look very good to self-published authors. Since the growth of self-published shows NO sign of slowing down, this was a huge mistake!

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
20 Oct 2013, 07:18 PM
(20 Oct 2013 03:04 PM)Thomas Watson Wrote:  The overall quality of self-published books is, in fact, lower than that of books coming out of traditional publishers. You don't need a large sample size to see this. Yes, some traditionally published books have their share of typos, but I regularly check the samples of self-published work and find half a dozen or so in the first few pages. There's really no excuse for that. And this doesn't even touch the books that are just badly written, with poorly developed (or implausible) plots, cardboard characters, and clunky dialog. (This is why I put as much effort into editing and writing a book as I do in telling the tale in the first place. It's the best method I have for standing out from the crowd.)

Some of the responsibility for this erotica purge rests with the authors of the books themselves. Something I don't see being discussed nearly enough is the fact that "adult filters" are already in place for most retailers. Unfortunately, it's become the practice of some erotica authors to avoid categorizing their work as erotic in nature. If it isn't flagged as such, the best filter out there won't block it. Amazon started responding to customer complaints generated by inappropriate material showing up in searches well before this Kobo/Smith debacle took place. They're handling it case by case, and being pretty heavy handed when they find a violation of their content guidelines. What Kobo and WH Smith did to address the same problem was as unfair as it was idiotic. In the long run, all they've accomplished is to make their biggest competitor look very good to self-published authors. Since the growth of self-published shows NO sign of slowing down, this was a huge mistake!

I agree with you, Thomas, which is why for me, personally, I owe it to myself to make sure I do what I can to make my books typo free and as plausible as possible. In fact as I write my fifth book, I feel I have developed the craft and I'm much more careful. I edit and edit and edit until I'm happy with what I've done. When I look back to 2007 and my first book I think there were things I could have done a lot better (in fact for the Kindle edition of that book I made some changes as I was aware that there was one word in particular I felt I had definitely spelt incorrectly - even though the alternate spelling I had used was available in the Chambers dictionary - but that was because I had heard it used often but had never seen it written down). One thing someone did drum into me was, if you use a spelling you know is alternative be consistent and don't variate. When I spell check now I make sure I keep my dictionary handy! I do confess to being an 'ise' speller, though, and I'm not ashamed of it, either! Big Grin

Well, we'll see how this WH Smith business pans out. Since they've seen fit to take down all my print books as well as my Kobo book I hold out no hope of seeing them back again. I just hope it doesn't set a precedent with other stores. Meanwhile Kobo can jog on. I won't bother with them again; but thanks for the heads up with Draft2Digital. Their conversion tool is handy and I'll be using that for Kindle and Nook (although I'll use the Kindle and Nook programs to upload the files!)
23 Oct 2013, 01:46 AM
The two titles I have on Kobo by way of D2D are once again available.

Just in case anyone's interested. Wink

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
23 Oct 2013, 09:06 AM
(23 Oct 2013 01:46 AM)Thomas Watson Wrote:  The two titles I have on Kobo by way of D2D are once again available.

That's great news, Thomas Big Grin
29 Oct 2013, 01:10 PM
(23 Oct 2013 09:06 AM)Tracey Morait Wrote:  
(23 Oct 2013 01:46 AM)Thomas Watson Wrote:  The two titles I have on Kobo by way of D2D are once again available.

That's great news, Thomas Big Grin

Did yours ever get straightened out?

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies