Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Need Some Help With Kobo

Share this Page 
08 Sep 2013, 08:28 AM
Hi

Newbie here.

I have self-published books in print and on Kindle, and I'm trying to publish onto Kobo but I'm getting tied up in knots. I uploaded my Word .docx file but when I came to read it (in Mozilla's epubreader addin program) it looked a mess, so I began to edit in Kobo's editor but it's still doesn't look right. It may be the epub reader.Huh

For fear of running into Tesco and screaming Morrison's, when you publish to Kindle there's an onscreen version of the Kindle ereader you can view during editing so you can see exactly where your text would be in the physical ereader. I find this really helpful. Kobo doesn't seem to have this feature. If I download the Kobo ereader to my laptop would I be able to read the file that way? If not could anyone recommend another epubreader?

?? I don't get this. I tried converting the .doc file to an .epub file which worked, but Kobo won't accept the file although it clearly states .epub files are supported!

Incidentally I don't use Mobipocket. I tried it for Kindle and couldn't get on with it. I upload using Notepad and html. Yeah, I know...

Many thanks in advance

Tracey

PS Just tried converting the .doc file to .epub, that worked - but Kobo is refusing to accept it!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19 Sep 2013, 10:05 PM
Have you tried Draft2Digital?

https://www.draft2digital.com/

Most of us find this a painless way to get books up on Kobo.

Author of -
The War of the Second Iteration
Book One The Luck of Han'anga
Book Two Founders' Effect
Book Three The Plight of the Eli'ahtna
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
29 Sep 2013, 03:33 PM
Thomas, you are an absolute diamond! Many thanks for this! It works really well.

I'm having a problem with some formatting on the first few pages but that's in the original Word document, so I'll work on that.

A couple of questions:

1. Can I omit the table of contents in draft 2 digital as I don't want one?
2. When I get to the publishing stage, can I choose Kobo only or will it publish to all ebook vendors?

Again, thank you. Smile x
29 Sep 2013, 11:44 PM
(29 Sep 2013 03:33 PM)Tracey Morait Wrote:  Thomas, you are an absolute diamond! Many thanks for this! It works really well.

I'm having a problem with some formatting on the first few pages but that's in the original Word document, so I'll work on that.

A couple of questions:

1. Can I omit the table of contents in draft 2 digital as I don't want one?
2. When I get to the publishing stage, can I choose Kobo only or will it publish to all ebook vendors?

Again, thank you. Smile x

1. I believe so, but I've never tried it, so I can't provide instruction. D2D customer service is excellent, though. Run this past them. If it can be done, they'll talk you through it.

2. Near the end of the publishing process you select where you want the book to be available. My novels are directly published on Nook (Nook Press) and Kindle (KDP), so when I get around to putting them up on D2D I'll be selecting Kobo and Apple, only.

Glad I could help a bit. Best of luck!

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
06 Oct 2013, 08:17 AM
Hi Thomas

Well, I managed to get rid of the table of contents page but I did it the long way round. I nearly blew a gasket over it but it worked!

What I did was I saved the epub, turned it into a zip file, extracted the files, found the table of contents page and deleted it.

I also had a bit of a problem with my 'By the same author' page in Word after my copyright page. When I checked it in epub the text was large. Couldn't fathom it out, because in Word the text size is normal. I double checked the styles and everything was normal in Word The only thing I could think is that draft2digital doesn't recognise that extra page, probably insists you use the built in feature it has instead. Also my own dedication page, page 4 in Word (the book is dedicated to my husband) was moving the text onto the 'By the same author page', can't think why!

So in zip the files come out like html files and you can edit them in Notepad after extrracting. My knowledge of html is very basic but what I did was I copied and pasted the coding from my copyright page into my 'By the same author' page and added my old titles. Then I saved. Then I sent all the files back to zip and deleted the previous zip file (otherwise the changes don't work). On viewing in Adobe Editions everything is fine.

Long-winded but effective. An epub editor would be better but I was downloading various editors and forever getting annoying add ons I didn't want even though I turned them off.

Question is how will the final published version look? :O I'm going to try to upload the new epub into draft2digital and see if that works...

Update: I had to concede defeat, and managed to download a good epub editor called Sigil (managed to get rid of all the rubbish add ons) which is very good and splits up the files into html like a zip does. I couldn't split the 'by the same author' and dedication pages in html editing the zip way, so I started again and in Sigil I ditched the contents page, and added a section break to get the dedication page in. I was also able to fix the large font problem in 'by the same author'. For some reason it was stuck on H1 style (not in Word, though!) so in Sigil I fixed that and put it back to Normal style. Looks fine in Adobe Editions.

I wondered if I could upload the new epub to draft2digital and it let me, but it warned me iTunes wouldn't like it. I'm not too fussed about iTunes to be honest. The book is in publishing status now.

Everything's crossed that it looks OK in the Kobo reader itself, if not back to the drawing board...!
08 Oct 2013, 01:15 PM
Glad you found a workaround, even if it took some doing.

Last time I worked with D2D they were getting set up to use an active table of contents, as created for a Word document. Since I create ATOCs for my books for Kindle and Nook, I want them in the Kobo and Apple versions. If D2D gets that to work, it would certainly simplify that aspect of things.

Author of -
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies