Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Maintaining your Libraries

Share this Page 
22 Dec 2012, 05:16 PM
hey guys, how do you do yours?

once i have read a book on my ereader (if i am sure i wont ever want to read again) i delete it from ADE and also my computer as well as i ensure i back up my books to save on a usb stick and there are def books i have read that i would never read again. Others by my fav authors i keep on ereader and ADE

Anyone know the way to readers anonymous...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23 Dec 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm an inveterate hoarder and never delete books from my eReader. I'm planning to use the same scheme on the Kobo Mini as I use on the Kindle to keep my herds of books corralled. This relies on books being able to belong to multiple shelves simultaneously.

I have shelves for each major genre I'm interested in - Sci-Fi, Fantasy, History, Web Development etc. I also have a "Current Reading" shelf and a "To Be Read" shelf. When a book arrives on the Kobo I assign it to a "genre" shelf and to the "To Be Read" shelf. When I start reading a book I move it from the "To Be Read" shelf to the "Current Reading" shelf and when I finish it I remove it from the "Current Reading" shelf.

In that way I can always go to the "Current Reading" shelf to find the two or three books I have on the go, and to the "To Be Read" shelf when I want to browse for something new to read. Books always remain in the "genre" shelves for easy reference.

This works well on the Kindle and is working fine for twenty-odd books I've got on the Kobo Mini. Will this solution scale? Or am I likely to have problems when the number of books on the Kobo increases?
23 Dec 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm shocking for being organised when it comes to books. All of my ereaders just have eBooks dumped on them unsorted. Terrible, I know, but if they day comes for me when I can't cope with it, I'll sort it.
23 Dec 2012, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty much the same as Lou - a big ebook heap. I do have a few book collections, such as Harry Potter, but mostly everything stays on an ereader unsorted. The only books I delete are free books I pick up on spec but don't particularly enjoy. I do read the books I love again and again, so these will never be deleted.

Our True Nationality is Mankind - H.G. Wells
24 Dec 2012, 12:30 AM
Calibre has plugins that can catalogue your ebooks in its repository as an EPUB file. But are there any utilities that can scan an Kobo and generate a catalogue of its shelves?

(From a quick delve this information appears to all be in the Kobo's SQLite database and so would be quite easy to extract.)
26 Dec 2012, 10:54 AM
Looks like I need to do some housekeeping. My books are in a heap all over the place.

Martin Lake

blog: http://martinlakewriting.wordpress.com
twitter: @martinlake14
28 Dec 2012, 01:36 PM
(26 Dec 2012 10:54 AM)Martin Lake Wrote:  Looks like I need to do some housekeeping. My books are in a heap all over the place.
I'm the same lol I've got 60 books on mine but I won't get rid of any either,I Like to know they are there if I want them, much like my hard back collection of Clive cussler, James Herbert, and andy McDermott, I won't get rid of them,and I will add to them.
05 Apr 2014, 11:11 PM
IMO, this article over at Macworld does a reasonable job of describing how to use Calibre to bring some order and logic to ones wild ebook collection. And, no, you don't need to own a Mac. All you need is your own copy of Calibre and a connection to your ereader device(s). Hope this helps, and good luck.

Raul Cavazos
www.raulc.me (raul-c-dot-me)