Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

The Guardian asks Readers to Recommend Indie Authors

Share this Page 
22 Jun 2013, 01:38 PM
Cross posted (with permission) from the original thread by Rosen Trevithick on www.kuforum.co.uk

The Guardian have take a bit of flak recently for printing some quotes by people with very critical attitudes to self-publishing. However, they today announced their intention to run a series of Q&A based interviews with self-published authors.

What's more, they're asking people to recommend authors for inclusion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun...hor-series

This is a very exciting development for indies.

However, the Guardian's previous attempts to find stand out indie titles seem to have resulted in flooding. The article was published today and already there have been allegations of people abusing the nomination system.

To make the most of this opportunity, let's nominate the really strong indies who exemplify professional standards and a positive attitude towards self-publishing. If we put our champions out there, they will help shift the unhelpful self-publishing stereotype and aid us all as a community.

I've blogged about how indies as a whole can make the most of this opportunity:
http://rosentrevithick.co.uk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22 Jun 2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks for cross-posting for me.
22 Jun 2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:However, the Guardian's previous attempts to find stand out indie titles seem to have resulted in flooding. The article was published today and already there have been allegations of people abusing the nomination system.

The indie author community, sad to say, is heavily populated by people desperate for immediate gratification. Opportunities such as these always result in a tidal wave of response, and that wave always seems to be hauling along with it some debris with questionable characteristics.

Author of -
The War of the Second Iteration
Book One The Luck of Han'anga
Book Two Founders' Effect
Book Three The Plight of the Eli'ahtna
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
23 Jun 2013, 09:32 AM
(22 Jun 2013 06:47 PM)Thomas Watson Wrote:  
Quote:However, the Guardian's previous attempts to find stand out indie titles seem to have resulted in flooding. The article was published today and already there have been allegations of people abusing the nomination system.

The indie author community, sad to say, is heavily populated by people desperate for immediate gratification. Opportunities such as these always result in a tidal wave of response, and that wave always seems to be hauling along with it some debris with questionable characteristics.

I can't blame any author for wanting a spotlight on their books. But we do live in an age of instant gratification. There have always been people who want instant success and will sadly do anything to get it, including cheating. Unfortunately, we can't throw away the baby with the bathwater and such incidences are likely to continue well into the future.

My Website
23 Jun 2013, 11:44 PM
No doubt. I was merely belaboring the obvious, I fear. Confused

Author of -
The War of the Second Iteration
Book One The Luck of Han'anga
Book Two Founders' Effect
Book Three The Plight of the Eli'ahtna
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies