Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average

copying books to my new kobo glo

Share this Page 
16 Jun 2013, 02:42 PM
Hi all, I just set up my first ereader, and am ready to go with Kobo Glo! A friend emailed me a few books to get started, and I've copied them to the reader, but I cannot see them on the reader. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
---
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16 Jun 2013, 05:34 PM
First eBooks can be copy protected with DRM or can be DRM-free. If the books are the former then they can't be legally read on your eReader. If the books are DRM-free then they may or may not be intended to be freely distributed - a growing number of authors and publishers now release copyrighted works without the hassle of DRM because it generally annoys valid users more than it stops the pirates.

Let's assume that the books emailed to you are freely distributable (like the 20,000+ we list). You should have a .epub file for each book - the Kobo doesn't support MOBI or Amazon format books, though there are tools, like Calibre, to convert them. These are actually zip files but you shouldn't unzip them. All you need to do it copy them to your Kobo.

I copy the files by plugging the Kobo into my PC using USB. The Kobo displays the "Computer Detected" dialogue and I hit the [Connect] button. A Windows Explorer window opens on the PC showing the top level folder on the Kobo. I create a folder for the author if their new to me, double-click the folder to display its contents and then drag the EPUB file into the Kobo folder from the PC.

Once all files are copied use Windows' "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" option in the tool tray to eject the Kobo and it will display its home screen.

If the books don't appear in your library then either the files are corrupt or have DRM locking them to somebody else's account. However there are plenty of sources of free ebooks to explore as well as the Kobo store.
16 Jun 2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks frogplate! Adding a folder and moving the books into it did the trick!
---
16 Jun 2013, 07:33 PM
Great news! Thanks for the update.