Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

How on earth do I obtain a method of reading Kobo Books?

Share this Page 
01 Jul 2018, 04:21 PM
I have bought three books from Kobo and can't read them so I went onto the Chat facility,.

To download the files directly to your computer
Please do it directly from our web site
Sign in
Once you are on my books, below every cover you'll find a 3 dots option.
Click it to display the download menu
Click on download
The URL file will be download it directly to the files of your computer
A box came up saying: Adobe Acrobat reader could not open URLL acsm because it is either not a supported type or because the file has been damaged for example it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded.
This is probably because our books are DRM protected
But surely one can still read them even if not copy from them?
You can read them on our kobo applications on our ereaders
Even you can can read also on nook or sony devices using adobe digital editions
That is what I thought I asked to be able to do.
So, do I need one of your readers?
Or the kobo desktop application installed on your computer
It's free and you can read all your kobo books without issues
You can download the program from here http://www.kobo.com/desktop

I tried all that but can still not open a Kobo book yet Kindle works like a dream. Maybe its my fault but whatever it is I need help.
---
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01 Jul 2018, 09:22 PM
Do you have an Apple or Android phone or tablet? I can't vouch for the Apple apps, but the Kobo Android app is dead easy to set up and works fine. Most of my reading time with Kobo books is on an Amazon Fire 8 running the Kobo Android app. (Ha! Take that Amazon!)

The experience is pretty good - not quite as good as a dedicated eInk reader, but still very pleasant to use.
01 Jul 2018, 10:09 PM
I've just tried the Kobo Windows app on my ancient Windows 7 machine. There was already an old version of the app on there so I uninstalled that, and also removed Adobe Digital Editions, to see if that is still needed these days.

The new version of the app installed without issue and works fine, automatically downloading the book I had open on the Amazon Fire and syncing to the correct page. I'm not a great fan of reading books on a PC screen, but the Kobo Desktop reader is pretty good.
01 Jul 2018, 10:12 PM
What happened when you tried using the Kobo Desktop?

What version of Windows or MacOS are you using?
01 Jul 2018, 10:50 PM
As I wrote above, “You can download the program from here http://www.kobo.com/desktop I tried all that but can still not open a Kobo book yet Kindle works like a dream.”
Do you have an Apple or Android phone or tablet? No, I want to read the book on my Desktop Computer.
The new version of the app installed without issue and works fine, automatically downloading the book I had open on the Amazon Fire and syncing to the correct page. I'm not a great fan of reading books on a PC screen, but the Kobo Desktop reader is pretty good.
You wrote that the new version of the app installed without issue. Could you say what app that is please?
You also wrote, “I had open on the Amazon Fire and syncing to the correct page.”
Could you say a little more about the “Amazon Fire and syncing” Bearing in mind I have Amazon Kindle would that help?

You asked, “What happened when you tried using the Kobo Desktop?” Its nearly midnight now in England so I will try running that in the morning.

What version of Windows or MacOS are you using? I’m using Windows 10
Many thanks for all your reply’s.
---
01 Jul 2018, 11:53 PM
>> You wrote that the new version of the app installed without issue. Could you say what app that is please?

The Windows version of the Kobo Desktop App downloaded from https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/p/desktop. It is pretty similar to the Amazon Kindle PC app (if that is is still around).

>> You also wrote, “I had open on the Amazon Fire and syncing to the correct page.”
>> Could you say a little more about the “Amazon Fire and syncing”
>> Bearing in mind I have Amazon Kindle would that help?

No, the Kindle won't help. The Amazon Fire tablets are based on a version of Android. It is quite easy to get the Google Play Store onto the Fire 7" and 8" versions and then you can install the Kobo app from the Play store. Amazon don't try very hard to stop you.

However the Kindle eInk readers are not based on Android and so can't run the Kobo app.