Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Dead Trees are for Book Lovers...

Share this Page 
06 Jun 2013, 12:26 AM
I was listening to an Andy Ihnatko podcast on my lunchtime walk and he mentioned hearing someone say something along the lines of "Dead trees are for people that love books, but eReaders are for people that love reading".

That is certainly very true in my family. I'm the only one of four who uses an eReader (well, OK... six of them!) whilst the rest of the family pour scorn on me for missing out on the tactile and olfactory pleasures of a physical book. My daughter in particular is a bit of a typography nerd and so the quality of the fonts and the kerning seem more important to her than the content.

I must admit that I have a very old set of Dickens, and I do get great pleasure in reading him on crisp age-blotched paper that is well over a hundred years old. But if the author is good the delivery mechanism disappears after a few minutes of reading and the author's words are all that remains.

Are eReaders incompatible with quality publishing? Or is the content more important to you than the binding? Does the quality of presentation of text on screen make a big difference to you? Do you feel the necessity of buying a paper copy of your favourite books even if you have the EPUB version?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06 Jun 2013, 05:58 PM
I love ereaders I also have a tablet which have Kindle and Kobo so the best of both worlds, I think the story is the main reason for reading not what it is printed on. Printed books or ereader if the story has gripped you it does not matter also if you finished a book on a ereader the next book is there waiting.
28 Jun 2013, 03:17 PM
I think it's more a case of old habits being hard to break than anything else. People who discovered print books at a very early age and grew up that way with the wonders of reading simply have a (very understandable) sentimental attachment to hard-copy books.

Published by Schusters and the newer Samhain, and I self-pub too.
All my ebooks
Website
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28 Jun 2013, 08:03 PM
Thinking on this question led to an essay on my weblog:

http://underdesertstars.wordpress.com/20...s-reading/

Author of -
The War of the Second Iteration
Book One The Luck of Han'anga
Book Two Founders' Effect
Book Three The Plight of the Eli'ahtna
and
Mr. Olcott's Skies
14 Jul 2013, 01:26 AM
Different formats have different advantages and disadvantages. I have a large collection of ebooks, but I also have a large collection of audibooks, as well as a physical bookcase, taller than I am, chock full of books that I've bought but haven't read.

I think the content is the most important part of the book. Everything else is just window dressing. You might appreciate it, but it's not what you're going to focus on. It's not what really matters. People don't generally write book reviews where they gush over the book's font, or the feel of the pages, or the artistry on the cover. If they mention those things at all it's only briefly, and if that's not the case then they're a terrible reviewer and nobody should pay attention to them.

If you're talking about audiobooks, then the skill of the narrator is an important consideration, but the content is still by far the *most important* consideration.
14 Jul 2013, 09:52 AM
I agree content is more important. I have an ereader & phone apps which has all major ereaders so if I have a time to read I always have my phone you can't alway take a book with you. But digital books also gives me a wider range of authors that I might not have read if I just stuck to physical books Jeremy Robinson, Scott Mariani to name but two.
06 Aug 2013, 08:47 PM
Hi all,
For me, I'm a ebook fan. Yes, I do like a book, but I've found I'm reading more ebooks these days. I do like being able to change font etc Smile
---
08 Aug 2013, 09:17 AM
I have a foot in both camps. I still like the feel of a book in my hands, but I also enjoy the convenience of being able to carry an entire library around in my pocket.

http://kevinhardman.blogspot.com/
My Books at Barnes & Noble (Nook)
My Books on Kobo