Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

A Better Distribution Model For Authors & Readers?

Share this Page 
02 Jun 2013, 06:39 PM
Many, if not most, eBook enthusiast know of Amazon, B&N, and Kobo, but how many of you know about Publification?

I have a short news entry on my website for those interested.

Raul Cavazos
www.raulc.me (raul-c-dot-me)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02 Jun 2013, 08:09 PM
Hmm... I get security warnings when accessing Publification's website - it looks like their HTTPS certificate has been self-signed by GoDaddy rather than by a trusted authority. So I wasn't able to access the site at all using two different Android browsers.

On Windows using Opera the buttons to read the books aren't rendered, so I can't read anything. In Chrome I could read one of the books, but it wanted access to a social networking account before I could access the Alan Moore book. Amusingly another book I tried contained a link to buy the full version - on the Kindle.

Personally I wouldn't use them unless I could log in with a dedicated account - I don't see why I should give them access to post through my Twitter account in order to read a book. But even so, I don't think they bring anything new to the table - Kobo, Nook, Google, Apple and Amazon already have apps that run on most desktop and mobile platforms. As someone who regularly commutes on the London Underground the need for an alway-on net connection in order to read a book doesn't sell it for me!
03 Jun 2013, 02:29 AM
OK, as knowledge of Publification is new to me, as it likely is for many others, I have done some additional investigating. For those who may be interested, I have consolidated my initial findings in a blog entry on my website.

Raul Cavazos
04 Jun 2013, 06:40 PM
I stumbled up widescript.com whilst researching NoSQL databases today. This looks like a very similar proposition to Publification. They have been around for a few years, but I'm not sure how much success they are seeing.
05 Jun 2013, 04:59 PM
(04 Jun 2013 06:40 PM)frogplate Wrote:  I stumbled up widescript.com whilst researching NoSQL databases today. This looks like a very similar proposition to Publification. They have been around for a few years, but I'm not sure how much success they are seeing.

Interesting find frogplate. After looking into it a bit, I'm left with the impression that they provide tools and service to setup an ecommerce site specific to selling and managing eBooks. I suppose one could use those tools/services to begin creating something similar to Publification.

Raul Cavazos