Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Your Christmas List?

Share this Page 
19 Dec 2012, 06:31 PM
I've now completed my Christmas shopping!Smile Anything I have forgotten we can jolly well do without. I just wondered if anyone else had finished and if anyone was gifting a Nook, Kobo, or even Kindle to anyone? Or are you hoping to receive an ereader of any kind? I put both a Kindle Fire and a Kobo on my wish list to Santa. Fingers crossed.

Our True Nationality is Mankind - H.G. Wells
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19 Dec 2012, 09:15 PM
I was threatened with extreme violence by multiple members of my family when I tried asking for a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. For some reason they seem to think that ownership of three Kindles and a Kobo Mini somehow disqualifies me from needing a new eReader. So it will be socks...
20 Dec 2012, 08:38 AM
frogplate - The Duchess of Windsor said that: "A woman can't be too rich or too thin." I'm hoping that this will be replaced by "A woman can never have too many ereaders." This may not help you, but - how about "A Kindle (Paperwhite) is a man's best friend"?

20 Dec 2012, 10:02 AM
I've definitely got too many eReaders now. 5 Kindles, 2 Kindle Fires, A Kobo and a Nook

2013 may be the year to sell some of them I think.
20 Dec 2012, 11:07 AM
(20 Dec 2012 10:02 AM)Lou Wrote:  I've definitely got too many eReaders now. 5 Kindles, 2 Kindle Fires, A Kobo and a Nook

2013 may be the year to sell some of them I think.

At least you are in an informed position to tell us which are the best buys. Which do you love most - your Kindle, your Nook or your Kobo?

20 Dec 2012, 11:20 AM
I'd have to say that, Kindle aside, I really like the Kobo Touch because it's a very neat device and is much better set up for the UK than the Nook at present. It also has some good configuration options in terms of font and screen and includes a web browser.
20 Dec 2012, 12:39 PM
(20 Dec 2012 10:02 AM)Lou Wrote:  I've definitely got too many eReaders now. 5 Kindles, 2 Kindle Fires, A Kobo and a Nook

Blimey! Clearly I'm not even trying...

(20 Dec 2012 11:07 AM)Daphne Wrote:  At least you are in an informed position to tell us which are the best buys. Which do you love most - your Kindle, your Nook or your Kobo?

It is horses for courses - they all have different strengths. I love the Amazon ecosystem and use the ability to email documents to my Kindle or Kindle app on my phone a lot. However Amazon don't have anything to compete with the Kobo Mini when portability is most important. The Mini is really cute and I love the "Reading Life" features.

I haven't played with the Nook hardware yet, but am somewhat put-off by the shop - I don't feel comfortable with the lack of previews, customer feedback and even page counts.
20 Dec 2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:I haven't played with the Nook hardware yet, but am somewhat put-off by the shop - I don't feel comfortable with the lack of previews, customer feedback and even page counts.

Sadly, the Nook situation is equally bad. Trying to find decent books on http://uk.nook.com is nigh on impossible.
20 Dec 2012, 02:39 PM
i just have the kobo but have a kindle account as i have an ipod and once a quarter i use calibre to convert my books for kobo Smile hence 800 books on kobo, 120 on kindle app waiting to be converted and still visit library and borrow ebooks oops

Anyone know the way to readers anonymous...
20 Dec 2012, 07:09 PM
(20 Dec 2012 02:39 PM)ronniejacobs Wrote:  i just have the kobo but have a kindle account as i have an ipod and once a quarter i use calibre to convert my books for kobo Smile hence 800 books on kobo, 120 on kindle app waiting to be converted and still visit library and borrow ebooks oops

I've come from the exact opposite direction - I had a hardware Kindle but had also bought a few Kobo books to read on the Android app. I've now bitten the bullet and bought a Kobo Mini (which I'm greatly enjoying). I've only got about 450 ebooks all told, but as I only read about 40 books a year the backlog in my reading pile is rapidly approaching my life expectancy!