Daily Free Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Hello!

Share this Page 
22 Mar 2013, 03:36 PM
Hello all! I''ve had a nook since Christmas (surprise present which I was originally not that thrilled about but have grown to appreciate it!) but have only just discovered this forum.

It certainly looks very comprehensive so when I've caught up on the books I already have to read I'm sure I'll download some from here.

I agree with the sentiment that kindle seems to be dominate but I can't understand why when it's so much easier to borrow ebooks from libraries and buy them with other ereaders. The weirdest thing is that Waterstones sells kindles but the ebooks it sells on the website obviously can't be read on one!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22 Mar 2013, 08:18 PM
Hi and welcome!

(22 Mar 2013 03:36 PM)Nordic Pixie Wrote:  The weirdest thing is that Waterstones sells kindles but the ebooks it sells on the website obviously can't be read on one!

I think this is because Amazon doesn't allow reselling of their ebooks - you have to purchase them from Amazon themselves. However if you have a Kindle Paperwhite you get an hour a day of free Wi-Fi in Waterstones stores that can be used to download selected books to read for free. If you decide to purchase a book from Amazon whilst still in Waterstones then the shop gets a cut from Amazon. I can't believe that Waterstones make much out of that or that many customers are aware of it.

Given the ePUB books for sale on the Waterstones website it would seem natural for them to sell the Nook and Kobo eReaders alongside the Kindles. I can only assume their contract with Amazon prevents that but that leaves Waterstones with a very inconsistent product line.
22 Mar 2013, 08:29 PM
(22 Mar 2013 03:36 PM)Nordic Pixie Wrote:  I agree with the sentiment that kindle seems to be dominate but I can't understand why when it's so much easier to borrow ebooks from libraries and buy them with other ereaders.

I've got both a Nook Simple Touch and the Kindle Touch and they are both great readers. I really like the Nook, and as you say, the Overdrive Library facility is super. However Barnes & Noble do their device a disservice with a sub-standard online store. I'd really love to see them improve the store and have a renewed marketing campaign for the Nook.
25 Mar 2013, 01:58 PM
Yes, it would certainly be nice to find things more easily, but I get the impression from a few articles I've read recently that it might be wishful thinking on our part. At least we can buy ebooks from other sources though. The Foyles website is quite good. I just have to sort out my mum's PC with the Adobe Digital Media software and then she can borrow library books rather than just randomly browse the Nook website.