Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

A Christmas Carol on Kobo

Share this Page 
18 Dec 2012, 04:21 PM
I have an illustrated version of A Christmas Carol

Find On:

KoboBarnes & Noble
on my Kobo for tablet. It looks very attractive with a number of traditional black and white pictures - although some of these are a little too small to be seen to their best advantage. The story itself probably doesn't need too much introduction, but this magical tale of the archetypal miser finding his humanity following the visitation of three ghosts and a close look at his past, present and future is good enough to be read again and again - particularly at this time of year. Nobody can equal Charles Dickens' witty, colourful and entertaining writing style - "Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grind-stone, Scrooge! a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous, old sinner!"

As the story is only novella length, this is a Christmas treat you can enjoy in one sitting - preferably in front of a fire with a little more than a handful of coal on it, and maybe even a glass of sherry. Happy ereading!

Our True Nationality is Mankind - H.G. Wells
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18 Dec 2012, 05:07 PM
This is a story that I read every year at about this time and I certainly agree with the "serving suggestion" above (but would add a mince pie!)

There is an amazing number of different versions of "A Christmas Carol" in the Kobo library - varying from free to an eye-watering £18. Some of the free copies leave a little to be desired - one I tried from the Internet Archive had clearly been scanned and then neither spell-checked or proof-read. The result was virtually unreadable. But I'd recommend the free Kobo version from "Top Five Books". The text looks good and it has some nice illustrations (both colour and monochrome).
18 Dec 2012, 05:26 PM
(18 Dec 2012 05:07 PM)frogplate Wrote:  This is a story that I read every year at about this time and I certainly agree with the "serving suggestion" above (but would add a mince pie!)

There is an amazing number of different versions of "A Christmas Carol" in the Kobo library - varying from free to an eye-watering £18. Some of the free copies leave a little to be desired - one I tried from the Internet Archive had clearly been scanned and then neither spell-checked or proof-read. The result was virtually unreadable. But I'd recommend the free Kobo version from "Top Five Books". The text looks good and it has some nice illustrations (both colour and monochrome).

The Kobo one I picked was a modest £0.49 for a classic illustrated version and seems like a good choice. I saved the money from the £18 version and spent it on the sherry and mince pies.Wink

Our True Nationality is Mankind - H.G. Wells