Nobooko : Kobo / Nook Forum
Maintaining your Libraries - Printable Version

+- Nobooko : Kobo / Nook Forum (http://www.nobooko.com/ereaderforum)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Maintaining your Libraries (/thread-25.html)

Maintaining your Libraries - ronniejacobs - 22 Dec 2012 05:16 PM

hey guys, how do you do yours?

once i have read a book on my ereader (if i am sure i wont ever want to read again) i delete it from ADE and also my computer as well as i ensure i back up my books to save on a usb stick and there are def books i have read that i would never read again. Others by my fav authors i keep on ereader and ADE

RE: Maintaining your Libraries - frogplate - 23 Dec 2012 12:05 PM

I'm an inveterate hoarder and never delete books from my eReader. I'm planning to use the same scheme on the Kobo Mini as I use on the Kindle to keep my herds of books corralled. This relies on books being able to belong to multiple shelves simultaneously.

I have shelves for each major genre I'm interested in - Sci-Fi, Fantasy, History, Web Development etc. I also have a "Current Reading" shelf and a "To Be Read" shelf. When a book arrives on the Kobo I assign it to a "genre" shelf and to the "To Be Read" shelf. When I start reading a book I move it from the "To Be Read" shelf to the "Current Reading" shelf and when I finish it I remove it from the "Current Reading" shelf.

In that way I can always go to the "Current Reading" shelf to find the two or three books I have on the go, and to the "To Be Read" shelf when I want to browse for something new to read. Books always remain in the "genre" shelves for easy reference.

This works well on the Kindle and is working fine for twenty-odd books I've got on the Kobo Mini. Will this solution scale? Or am I likely to have problems when the number of books on the Kobo increases?

RE: Maintaining your Libraries - Lou - 23 Dec 2012 12:59 PM

I'm shocking for being organised when it comes to books. All of my ereaders just have eBooks dumped on them unsorted. Terrible, I know, but if they day comes for me when I can't cope with it, I'll sort it.

RE: Maintaining your Libraries - Daphne - 23 Dec 2012 02:14 PM

I'm pretty much the same as Lou - a big ebook heap. I do have a few book collections, such as Harry Potter, but mostly everything stays on an ereader unsorted. The only books I delete are free books I pick up on spec but don't particularly enjoy. I do read the books I love again and again, so these will never be deleted.

RE: Maintaining your Libraries - frogplate - 24 Dec 2012 12:30 AM

Calibre has plugins that can catalogue your ebooks in its repository as an EPUB file. But are there any utilities that can scan an Kobo and generate a catalogue of its shelves?

(From a quick delve this information appears to all be in the Kobo's SQLite database and so would be quite easy to extract.)

RE: Maintaining your Libraries - Martin Lake - 26 Dec 2012 10:54 AM

Looks like I need to do some housekeeping. My books are in a heap all over the place.

RE: Maintaining your Libraries - Baz69 - 28 Dec 2012 01:36 PM

(26 Dec 2012 10:54 AM)Martin Lake Wrote:  Looks like I need to do some housekeeping. My books are in a heap all over the place.
I'm the same lol I've got 60 books on mine but I won't get rid of any either,I Like to know they are there if I want them, much like my hard back collection of Clive cussler, James Herbert, and andy McDermott, I won't get rid of them,and I will add to them.

RE: Maintaining your Libraries - Raul_C - 05 Apr 2014 11:11 PM

IMO, this article over at Macworld does a reasonable job of describing how to use Calibre to bring some order and logic to ones wild ebook collection. And, no, you don't need to own a Mac. All you need is your own copy of Calibre and a connection to your ereader device(s). Hope this helps, and good luck.